Dumb dumb never showed up to install our stove. To make it brief, we offered to get him parts and everything, then he says it’s because he has to get parts that it’s taking so long. I called insurance and told them the situation. Hints were made. It is now installed. Some more Durok is going up this morning and then we can have decent heat again!
We incubated 2 duck eggs and 12 chickens. Eight chicks sprung forth. We broke the remaining eggs to discover complete nondevelopment, so they were never fertilized. We now wonder who’s got issues. George? One of the reds? We had to cull one chick as it appeared deformed and possibly sick. I didn’t want the others infected, and the deformation appeared lethal in a painful way. These things happen, unfortunately.
The calves have grown like weeds! Baby is now fully halter trained, but still fights periodically. You have to keep a short leash. We still haven’t gotten rid of Mya. I just hate to. She was four when we got her, and her previous owner had surrendered her to the pound for reasons we don’t know. I can’t do that to her again. But, it may come to that in the future.
Here are a pic of the chicks. Keep in mind, one of the yellow ones at the bottom is no longer with us.
We sold off all but two Marans. One is a young roo we are saving for Thanksgiving. The other appears to be a pullet. We’ll keep her. We have discovered RIRs rarely go broody. We may buy a Silkie or other hen to raise chicks for us. I prefer the natural way of course. We make more selling the chickens than what we save eating them. We will sell what we can from this new clutch and eat the remaining.
Here George and his harem found the cow barn. They go there all the time now and eat some of the grain we give the calves.
Here is Baby.