This is not about the scientific debacle, or the insurance fiasco, or anything of that nature, although I’m sure I could complain about those too. This is about a cluster of circumstances that mixed together form one ginormous item that my dainty little mouth dare not utter. I’m sure all of you have been in a situation such as this at some point in time or another, so this is mainly just to make you feel better. After all, misery loves company, so here we go.
Arlis was in the shower. I was just finishing up, and he had just stepped in. I take my shower with pure hot water, usually too hot for him. So, when he complained about his throat closing up, I assumed it was from the steam and told him to open the curtain. That didn’t help. He was acting like he was having anaphylactic shock. I told him to take an anti-histamine and go lie down. But then it got worse. Chest pains, jaw and neck pains, numbness, etc. We assumed a heart attack and gave him an aspirin.
The symptoms continued, and we took him to the hospital the next day where he spend three unpleasant days full of tests. They said he was perfectly fine, that he just had a reaction to something unknown, and sent him home (gee, thanks). Once home, the symptoms began to return. He started wearing a mask, taking anti-histamines, and went to the doctor a few days later. The doctor sent him to an allergist, who we haven’t seen yet, and scheduled tests. Why they couldn’t do the blood work then was beyond me, but there ya go. She also told him to take Allegra, which made a HUGE difference, allowing him to drop the mask and even mow the lawn yesterday (that—he wore a mask for).
In the meantime, the allergist said for him to stop taking the anti-histamines so he could do a good test on him. Uh … no. He skipped his dose last night in preparation for the testing next week as instructed. It nearly killed him. Literally. He had a severe reaction, forcing me to run him to town while calling doctors to see where to go. The doctor said to talk to the allergist about it (grrr). The allergist wouldn’t know my husband from his aunt Margaret. They haven’t met yet. There was no way he was going to help us at all. The regular doctor said that she couldn’t see him today, to try Monday. Nice try doc, but this isn’t the flu.
And then, to beat it all, the Urgent Care Clinic that we walked into had a sign up that specifically said they did not take his insurance.
So there ya go. No one will see him. No one knows what’s wrong. We said “screw everybody” and he took the Allegra anyway (the doctor’s office later called back and agreed with our decision). I had him stay in one room while I vacuumed the others (they hadn’t been cleaned in quite a while due to me taking care of him). His throat’s still swollen, but he’s able to go without a mask and eat again. I’m a little upset over the situation, but I still have no idea what we could possibly do differently.